Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Book 68: Strange the Dreamer

Lazlo Strange grew up in as a foundling in a monastery.  His life changed course the first time when he was sent to make a delivery to a library where he stayed to work.  The second change came with the appearance of warriors from a city named Weep.  Lazlo had spent years reading everything in the library related to Weep and even figured out the language on his own.  He manages to get a job as secretary and story teller with the expedition and finally makes the journey to the city he has dreamed of his entire life.

The citizens of Weep had been terrorized by blue beings with magic for over 200 years before they finally managed to slaughter the gods and their children.  The structure in which they lived still hovers over the city blocking our the sunlight, and so the finest minds from all over have been brought together to find a way to get rid of it.  What no one realized is that five children survived and have been hiding all these years.

While the descriptions and characters in Taylor's Strange the Dreamer are excellent and the concept has great potential, I didn't find the plot well executed.  The piece of prologue at the beginning of the story allowed me to guess the ending by the middle of the book making it hard for me to convince myself that I needed to finish reading.  If I hadn't been participating in a read along, I would probably have abandoned the book.  My other problem is the cliffhanger ending.  It was unnecessary and annoying. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment