Friday, May 26, 2017

Book 62: Irresistible

Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked by Alter attempts to explain behavioral addictions: what they are, how they form, and methods to deal with them.  I assumed based on the title that the focus of the book would be on technology related behavioral addictions.  Sadly most of his examples involved substance abuse or addictions like gambling with his technology related examples tending to be more anecdotal and quite repetitive.  (I lost track of how many time World of Warcraft was cited.)  While I understand how he was trying to use the first set of examples to explain behavioral addictions, I found the lack of directly related data frustrating although probably understandable since the problem is a relatively new phenomenon.  The book contained some good information, but it seemed to me to be lost amid a lot of extraneous information.  2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment