Thursday, February 23, 2017

Book 17: The Color of Magic

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett is the first published book in the Discworld series and introduces the character of the wizard Rincewind.  All of Rincewind's troubles and adventures begin when he offers to work at a translator for Twoflower after seeing his magical chest of sapient pear and his purse full of the rarest of gold coins.  Thus begins the strangest journey where Twoflower is trying to see everything, Rincewind is simply trying not to die, and the two are pieces played by the Lady (the one goddess who name no one invokes) in a game between the gods. 


After an extremely slow start, I found myself laughing over and over as I made my way through the tale.  The scenes between Rincewind and Death were particularly amusing.    I never thought I would actually like Death as a character.  All in all it is a good start to the series, and I will definitely continue reading the remainder.

1 comment:

  1. Pratchett is one of my favorite authors. The Color of Magic has some great bits, but I think the series gets better with the next few Discworld books - especially Mort, which is #4.

    ReplyDelete