Sunday, February 7, 2016

Book 8: The Misanthrope

The Misanthrope by Moliere is a French comedy written in 1666.  The main character Alceste despises the current trends in French society of empty praise and unmerited flattery and decides instead to denounce all men and speak with brutal honesty instead.  His friend Philinte advocates a less confrontational approach calling him to be more lenient and to cease his rantings.  He points out Alceste's own hypocrisy in decrying the flattery of men while at the same time being in love with Celimene, who is known for her coquettishness.  When Alceste asks Celimene to prove her love by sending away the other suitors, she declares that she loves him but does not wish to send the others away.  Later he demands she prove her love by leaving Paris with him to live away from other people; but while she is willing to marry him, she does not wish to leave Paris causing Alceste to declare he will no longer be her suitor.


While I find the ideas of the play thought-provoking and think Moliere did an excellent job in showing the folly of both brutal honesty and empty flattery, I did not enjoy this play nearly as much as Tartuffe.  The play is more character focused than plot focused, and quite frankly I disliked the characters.  While some of the dialogue was quite witty, I did not find the play entertaining or humorous.  I still believe that there is value is reading the play and exploring the ideas that it presents, but it is not something that I would read for enjoyment.


For me the crux of Moliere's position is found in the following passage:


"Come, let's forget the follies of the times
And pardon mankind for its petty crimes;
Let's have an end of rantings and of railings,
And show some leniency toward human failings.
This world requires a pliant rectitude;
Too stern a virtue makes one stiff and rude;
Good sense views all extremes with detestation,
And bids us to be noble in moderation.
The rigid virtues of the ancient days
Are not for us; they jar with all our ways
And ask of us too lofty a perfection.
Wise men accept their times without objection,
And there's no greater folly, if you ask me,
Than trying to reform society.
Like you, I see each day a hundred and one
Unhandsome deeds that might be better done,
But still, for all the faults that meet my view,
I'm never known to storm and rave like you.
I take men as they are, or let them be,
And teach my soul to bear their frailty;"(23)


My initial takeaway from the play.  Honesty should be tempered by compassion and humility, but striking the right balance is something with which man has always struggled.

No comments:

Post a Comment