Sunday, May 18, 2014

Book 29: The Perfect 10 Diet

The Perfect 10 Diet: 10 Key Hormoes That Hold the Secret to Losing Weight and Feeling Great Fast! by Aziz proposes that many of the problems plaguing the health of individuals today can be traced to poor dietary habits that cause an imbalance of various hormone levels. The hormones that he focuses on include: insulin, glucagon, leptin, thyroid hormone, HGH, cortisol, DHEA, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. The basic diet advocates a balance of 40% carbs, 40% fats, and 20% proteins; the elimination of refined foods, sugar, and trans fats; a focus on eating 3 meals a day with breakfast being the largest meal; and of course drinking plenty of water. He divides the plan into 3 stages including 3 weeks of no grains or alcohol followed by the addition of 1 to 3 whole grains per day while still losing weight, and then 3-4 servings of grains in the maintenance stage. He also advises exercising 3-4 days per week and includes sections dealing with common questions, diets for various medical issues, and sample meal plans and a few recipes for each stage.

Overall I found the arguments well-stated and intriguing, and I would say that the overall premise is sound. I found his information on dairy somewhat contradictory. He states that dairy is unnecessary and should be limited, yet at the same time he advocates cooking with butter and includes cheese, yogurt, and sour cream in many of his meal ideas. I'm also a fairly picky eater, so it's going to take some work to figure out how to make this work. Still if I could lose weight just eating my current foods, I wouldn't need to research a new diet. The book also lacks information on portion sizes. I found that information online in a bonus chapter. I also found a nice cheat sheet on a blog that looks really helpful. I would recommend this book for adults looking to eat healthier or lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment