Sunday, March 16, 2014

Book 16: Getting Things Done

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by Allen is a reread from last year. In my previous review I discussed his 5 step system to getting a handle on all the open loops floating around in the mind. This time around I wanted to review his system to see what I had missed (I need to be more consistent with the review step) and to spend more time on his information regarding projects and longer term goals. For projects he recommends brainstorming all the outstanding projects and sorting them into a current project list and a someday/maybe list. Simple projects with only a few steps would then only require determining what the next action is and then placing that action on the appropriate calender space or action list. For larger projects he recommends visualizing what the desired outcome is and then brainstorming what steps are needed to get to that point in a mind mapping type of format. The mind map can then be used to determine what steps can be taken at the current time to move the project forward. Longer term goals can be handled in a similar manner.

I would recommend Getting Things Done for anyone looking for an intuitive system for staying on top of things either at work or at home. I'm still refining the process and putting parts in practice, but the parts that I do have in place are working very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment